Re: create function : change name of input parameter - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lori Corbani
Subject Re: create function : change name of input parameter
Date
List pgsql-general
Yes, I am doing a DROP and then a CREATE OR REPLACE

Let me read over your example...

-----Original Message-----
From: Adrian Klaver [mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:40 AM
To: Lori Corbani; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] create function : change name of input parameter

On 08/20/2014 06:25 AM, Lori Corbani wrote:
> Using Postgres Version 9.0.4:
>
> We are migrating our Sybase stored procedures to Postgres and need to
> be able to drop/replace the SPs, making needed changes to input
> parameters to fix issues/differences between Sybase and Postgres.
>
> However, we keep getting this error when we drop/replace the PG/SP:

Are you actually doing DROP and then CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION or just doing CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION ?

The first case will work, the second will not:

test=> CREATE FUNCTION sales_tax(subtotal real, OUT tax real) AS $$ test$> BEGIN
test$>     tax := subtotal * 0.06;
test$> END;
test$> $$ LANGUAGE plpgsql;
CREATE FUNCTION

test=> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.sales_tax(stotal real, OUT tax
real)
  RETURNS real
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$
BEGIN

     tax := subtotal * 0.06;

END;

$function$

ERROR:  cannot change name of input parameter "subtotal"
HINT:  Use DROP FUNCTION sales_tax(real) first.

test=> drop function sales_tax(real) ;
DROP FUNCTION

test=> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.sales_tax(stotal real, OUT tax
real)
  RETURNS real
  LANGUAGE plpgsql
AS $function$