Re: Bind message - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: Bind message
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Markus Schaber wrote:
> Hi, Kris,
>
> Kris Jurka wrote:
>
>>Sometimes it is, sometimes the purpose of using a PreparedStatement is
>>to avoid escaping data yourself for a plain Statement execution.  There
>>are potential performance penalties for using a "reusable" server side
>>prepared statement because it plans them with generic parameters, not
>>those supplied in your query.  For this reason we want to be sure that
>>people will actually be reusing these statements before switching to
>>this mode.  I believe the default prepareThreshold is set to 5 despite
>>what the documentation says.
>

> I remember having read something about delaying the actual planning
> until the first parameterset arrives.

The server only does this when you use the unnamed statement (i.e.
before the driver's prepareThreshold is reached), because the resulting
plan is only really useful for that particular set of parameter values,
and using a named statement implies that you want to reuse the
parse/plan results for other parameter values.

-O