Re: vista - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Naz Gassiep
Subject Re: vista
Date
List pgsql-general
> So...
>
> If you're not a PostgreSQL Win32 port dev, and *don't know* what they're
> up to as far as Vista, why respond to the Q?  Or why respond "fix it
> yourself" instead of "ask this guy" or "nobody here will know yet" or
> "post your query on -ports or -hackers".

Precisely. My point is not that people *should* care about Win32, or
that some coercive system should be put into place to force devs onto
RFEs, or even that we should commit to having something ready at all
ever. It's a point of apparent attitude. Responding with a useless
answer is *worse* than simply ignoring the question. I am not a Win32
user (at least not on servers), but if I wanted to know if Vista
compatibility was being worked on getting "if you want it, go do it"
would be even less useful than an effort to convince me to run the DB on
a *nix back end. I'd rather have someone tell me how and why to migrate
to a better OS.
> Frankly, I too could care less about PG on Vista.  Longhorn isn't due
> until Vista SP1, so PG support has a long time to go before it's a real
> concern.  But then I didn't try to answer the question.

Same here. It's a matter of apparent attitude of the community to
outsiders or new users. Even with something like future Win32 support,
I'd rather see people being told "that issue is not important to our
project because x, y and z" than "go do it yourself".

Anyway, I seem to have kicked up a bit of a hornet's nest here so I'll
shut up now.

- Naz.