Feature request (was psql: absolutes and toggles) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Steve Crawford
Subject Feature request (was psql: absolutes and toggles)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I would like the ability to absolutely set parameters/settings in psql
so that our psql scripts could generate predictable output absent a
known or controllable initial state. Original discussion at bottom of
message.

One alternate and easier approach I've thought of is to simply add
something akin to a \factory-reset meta-command which would return all
settings to the state they would be in immediately after starting psql
with the --no-psqlrc option. This would at least provide one solution to
the problem and might be a handy meta-command even if absolute settings
were added.

If a "factory reset" meta-command were added I think that \o should be
exempted as it is already an absolute setting that can be predictably
used in scripts and, where output redirection isn't specified in the
script, we shouldn't interfere with the ability to save the output of a
script or scripts as the user desires.

Cheers,
Steve