Re: Mid cycle release? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Mid cycle release?
Date
Re: Mid cycle release?  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jimn@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> No one would expect Oracle to install Oracle and walk away. We are not
>> MySQL, nor MS Access.
>
> Then why are you complaining about having to disable autovacuum after
> each installation?

Because my hands hurt and I can't find my gloves. My back hurts (see the
in a generally pissy mood.

I am human, I am allowed :)

But on a serious note, the problem I run into is exactly the opposite.
Someone will turn on autovacuum because they thought it was a good idea
and for their work load, it isn't. So instead of creating new and
interesting ways to allow their database to be more efficient, I am
dealing with snafu's created by my own community.

Leaving autovacuum on will cement the idea that it *should* be on and
IMHO it shouldn't without specific and careful planning.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> It may just be me, but I see as a lot easier to disable autovacuum than
> to write the necessary cron jobs if it's disabled.

Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency: +1.800.492.2240   Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL
solutionssince 1997             http://www.commandprompt.com/