Re: Mid cycle release? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Mid cycle release?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 14 September 2006 17:36, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> But on a serious note, the problem I run into is exactly the opposite.
> Someone will turn on autovacuum because they thought it was a good idea
> and for their work load, it isn't. So instead of creating new and
> interesting ways to allow their database to be more efficient, I am
> dealing with snafu's created by my own community.
>
> Leaving autovacuum on will cement the idea that it *should* be on and
> IMHO it shouldn't without specific and careful planning.

Clearly it's better to have auto-vacuum on than to do nothing, so why not give
our users a better starting position if we can?  Otherwise why are we doing
things like attempting to auto-set options in the conf file based on system
specs?

--
Robert Treat