Re: PostgreSQL slammed by PHP creator - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: PostgreSQL slammed by PHP creator
Date
Re: PostgreSQL slammed by PHP creator  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
List pgsql-general
Arturo Perez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Any response to this:
> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3631831
>
> From the FA:
>
> One performance enhancement that Lerdorf suggested based on code analysis was to use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL for
thedatabase.

> "If you can fit your problem into what MySQL can handle it's very fast," Lerdorf said. "You can gain quite a bit of
performance."

> For the items that MySQL doesn't handle as well as PostgreSQL, Lerdorf noted that some features can be emulated in
PHPitself, and you still end up with a net performance boost.

Considering the quality piece of software that PHP is, I don't hold much
weight to his comment.

However, he does carry some umpf in certain circles. Perhaps we should
prove him wrong?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/