Re: PostgreSQL slammed by PHP creator - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL slammed by PHP creator
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 14 September 2006 12:19, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Arturo Perez wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Any response to this:
> > http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3631831

Well first, your subject line is very incendiary and not necessary... I expect
that kind of thing from slashdot, but it isn't needed here. Rasmus did
not "slam" postgres... he ran some tests, look at the output, and then
explained his conclusions.  This seems perfectly reasonable to me and I think
trying to drum up animosity over it is something we should be cracking back
on in the postgresql community... all IMHO.

That said, in case anyone needs it, here is a benchmark showing postgresql
scalability vs mysql.  interestingly enough it isnt really a database
benchmark, whether this adds or detracts from it's creditability is up to
you... http://tweakers.net/reviews/638/4

> > From the FA:
> >
> > One performance enhancement that Lerdorf suggested based on code analysis
> > was to use MySQL instead of PostgreSQL for the database.
> >
> > "If you can fit your problem into what MySQL can handle it's very fast,"
> > Lerdorf said. "You can gain quite a bit of performance."
> >
> > For the items that MySQL doesn't handle as well as PostgreSQL, Lerdorf
> > noted that some features can be emulated in PHP itself, and you still end
> > up with a net performance boost.
>
> Considering the quality piece of software that PHP is, I don't hold much
> weight to his comment.
>
> However, he does carry some umpf in certain circles. Perhaps we should
> prove him wrong?

I'd like to see you do that... here are the slides from his recent talk
showing  why he came up with the statements he made
(http://talks.php.net/show/oscon06/1).  Please post the info
when you get comparable performance running from PostgreSQL...

--
Robert Treat