Re: Are stored procedures/triggers common in your industry - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Semanchuk
Subject Re: Are stored procedures/triggers common in your industry
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Apr 20, 2022, at 3:18 PM, Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve really only ever worked in web development. 90+% of web developers regard doing anything at all clever in the
databasewith suspicion.

> I’m considering working on a book about implementing business logic in Postgres, and I’m curious about how common
thatactually is.

We have some business logic in Postgres functions, particularly triggers. Our apps are written in Python, and we use
pytestto exercise our SQL functions to ensure they're doing what we think they’re doing. It works well for us.

FWIW, we’re not a Web dev shop.

Cheers
Philip