Re: pl/R problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Isgitt
Subject Re: pl/R problem
Date
Re: pl/R problem  (Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>)
List pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 04:24:46PM -0500, Don Isgitt wrote:
>
>> gds2=# create function sd(_float8) returns float as '' language 'plr';
>> CREATE FUNCTION
>>
>> gds2=# select round(sd('{1.23,1.31,1.42,1.27}'::_float8)::numeric,8);
>> server closed the connection unexpectedly
>>        This probably means the server terminated abnormally
>>        before or while processing the request.
>> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed.
>>
>> Relevant server log piece:
>>
>> cannot find system Renviron
>> Fatal error: unable to open the base package
>>
>> LOG:  server process (PID 6792) exited with exit code 2
>>

> I can reproduce this on Solaris 9 with PL/R 0.6.2-alpha and R 2.2.1
> if I rename $R_HOME/etc/Renviron to something else.  I don't get
> the "unable to open the base package" error but I do get "cannot
> find system Renviron" and several other errors like "Error in
> options(...) : invalid editor parameter" followed by a segmentation
> fault.
>

>> So, the question: what am I missing that enables it to find the "Renviron"
>>

> Does the file $R_HOME/etc/Renviron or $R_HOME/etc/<architecture>/Renviron
> exist and have permissions such that the PostgreSQL server can read
> it?  The error "cannot find system Renviron" comes from the R
> function process_system_Renviron() in src/main/Renviron.c in response
> to process_Renviron() returning 0, which it does if its filename
> argument is NULL or if it can't open that file.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply and the research. The relevant file is

[djisgitt@prs1 R-2.3.0]$ ls -l $R_HOME/etc/Renviron
-rw-rw-r--    1 djisgitt djisgitt     1151 Jun  1 11:42
/home/djisgitt/R-2.3.0/etc/Renviron

so I don't see that as the problem.

I use R quite a lot, so I know the installation of R itself is good, but
this is the first time I have tried pl/R. Also, pgsql works, so I assume
there is something incorrect between pgsql and R. I just don't know what!

If you have any more suggestions, or need more information, let me know.

Don