share library version problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bryan White
Subject share library version problems
Date
Re: share library version problems  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
I am having problems with my libpq programs crashing.  This seems to be
a version incompatibility and I want to find out how to best proceed.

My main database is running Fedora Core 5 with the supplied PostgreSQL
8.1.4.

My web server is running Fedora Core 4 with the supplied PostgreSQL 8.0.8.

My dev server was running the same setup as the web server.  The
difference is that it acts as its own database server.  I was
uncomfortable running an older version of the server on my test system
then on the live system.  So yesterday I removed the OS supplied
PostgreSQL RPMs and installed 8.1.4 from RPMs on the PostgreSQL download
site.

Today I discovered that programs that I compile on my dev server will
segfault when run on the live web server.

On my live web server I have:
    /usr/lib/libpq.a
    /usr/lib/libpq.so     -> libpq.so.4.0
    /usr/lib/libpq.so.4   -> libpq.so.4.0
    /usr/lib/libpq.so.4.0

On my dev server I have:
    /usr/lib/libpq.a
    /usr/lib/libpq.so     -> libpq.so.4.1
    /usr/lib/libpq.so.4   -> libpq.so.4.1
    /usr/lib/libpq.so.4.1

My programs are compiled with -lpq

Is there something I can do on my dev server to get it to produce
programs that will run on my live server?  Note: I would rather change
the dev server because there are about 12 other live servers that would
also need to be fixed.

Is there a document somewhere that discusses how to handle these types
of issues?

Note:  In the recent past I had been running 7.1.x on my dev server and
had no problems running the produced programs on a live server with
8.0.x libraries.
--
Bryan White, ArcaMax Publishing Inc.

Bryan is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs.
Very sad life. Probably have very sad death. But, at least there
is symmetry.