Re: share library version problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: share library version problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Bryan White <bryan@arcamax.com> writes:
> I am having problems with my libpq programs crashing.  This seems to be
> a version incompatibility and I want to find out how to best proceed.

> My main database is running Fedora Core 5 with the supplied PostgreSQL
> 8.1.4.

> My web server is running Fedora Core 4 with the supplied PostgreSQL 8.0.8.

> My dev server was running the same setup as the web server.  The
> difference is that it acts as its own database server.  I was
> uncomfortable running an older version of the server on my test system
> then on the live system.  So yesterday I removed the OS supplied
> PostgreSQL RPMs and installed 8.1.4 from RPMs on the PostgreSQL download
> site.

> Today I discovered that programs that I compile on my dev server will
> segfault when run on the live web server.

Can you get a core dump and provide a gdb backtrace from the segfault?
Right offhand I see no difference in the claimed API of 8.0 and 8.1
libpq except that 8.1 adds lo_create(), which I suppose you're not
using.  So while this isn't good practice in general, I don't see
why it wouldn't work in this particular case.

One thing you should check is whether both libs were built with the same
options (compare pg_config --configure output from the 8.0 and 8.1
installations).

            regards, tom lane