Re: Coverity reports looking good - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Coverity reports looking good
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> I thought I'd like to report that right now the Coverity reports are
> looking good. There are no issues detected in either the backend code
> or the ECPG library. For the latter I'd like the thank Joachim Wieland
> and Michael Meskes for getting ECPG into shape.
>
> Whats basically left is a large number of memory leaks in frontend
> applications such as pg_dump, initdb, pg_ctl, etc. These haven't ever
> really been a priority (buildACLCommands is really bad in this
> respect).
>
> Some examples can be found here:
> http://svana.org/kleptog/temp/pgsql-bin.xml
>
> If someone wants to make a serious attempt at tackling them, I can
> provide an updated list.

At least in the case of initdb, when I was coding it I was perfectly
well aware that there would be memory leaks - and the code contains a
comment to the effect that cleaning them up isn't worth the trouble.

I think we can be more liberal in programs that are not long-lived and
won't continue to leak more and more memory.

cheers

andrew