Re: Coverity reports looking good - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Coverity reports looking good
Date
Re: Coverity reports looking good
List pgsql-hackers
> Whats basically left is a large number of memory leaks in frontend
> applications such as pg_dump, initdb, pg_ctl, etc. These haven't ever
> really been a priority (buildACLCommands is really bad in this
> respect).

Well, if Coverity's idea of good programming practice is that every
program must explicitly free everything it ever malloced before it
terminates, then I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.  The
above is nothing but make-work as far as programs with short intended
runtimes go.  A leak in psql would be interesting if it can accumulate
across command-execution cycles, but I have zero interest in "cleaning
up" any of the programs mentioned above.