Re: most bang for buck with ~ $20,000 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Arjen van der Meijden
Subject Re: most bang for buck with ~ $20,000
Date
List pgsql-performance
Well, that's of course really hard to tell. From personal experience in
a read-mostly environment, the subtop woodcrest 5150 (2.6Ghz)
outperforms the top dempsey 5080 (3.7Ghz, in the same system) by quite a
nice margin. But that dempsey already has the faster FB-Dimm memory and
a much wider FSB compared to your 3.06Ghz Xeons.
But if we assume that the 3.7Ghz 5080 is just the extra mhz faster (~
25%), for a single (dual core) 3Ghz Woodcrest you might already be
talking about a 50% improvement in terms of cpu-power over your current
set-up. Of course depending on workload and its scalability etc etc.

In a perfect world, with linear scalability (note, a read-mostly
postgresql can actually do that on a Sun fire T2000 with solaris) that
would yield a 200% improvement when going form 2 to 4 cores. A 70-80%
scaling is more reasonable and would still imply you'd improve more than
150% over your current set-up.
Please note that this is partially based on internal testing and partial
on assumptions and would at least require more real-world testing for a
app more similar to yours.

As soon as we're publishing some numbers on this (and I don't forget),
I'll let you know on the list. That will include postgresql and recent
x86 cpu's on linux and should be ready soon.

Best regards,

Arjen