Re: FATAL Error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: FATAL Error
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Matt <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
>
>> I'm getting the following error on PGSQL 8.0.8 server that I admin.  I
>> don't think this is a hardware problem but I'm not sure.  Anyway in the
>> logfile I'm constantly getting this:
>>
>> ERROR:  xlog flush request 2/13CEA8AC is not satisfied --- flushed only
>> to 2/13634EE4
>> CONTEXT:  writing block 3421 of relation 1663/9533957/9534098
>>

> This indicates that the LSN word of that block contains 2/13CEA8AC,
> which is impossibly large if WAL currently extends only to 2/13634EE4.
> Have you had any crashes or other odd behavior recently?
> What files do you see in $PGDATA/pg_xlog/?  Can you grab a copy of
> pg_filedump and look at what the block contains on-disk?

Tom, thanks for the reply.  I'm not aware of any database crashes or OS
crashes lately, the server has been up for 48 days and running smoothly
until today (Monday).

I'm not sure how to get what you are looking for with pg_filedump, I've
got pg_filedump compiled, and tried pg_filedump-4.0/pg_filedump -f -R
3421 ./9534098  but I don't really know how to read the output.

 Here is what I find in pg_xlog:
[root@mail pg_xlog]# ls -l
total 114840
-rw-------   1 postgres postgres 16777216 Aug  7 18:29