Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql
Date
List pgsql-performance
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Guoping Zhang (guoping.zhang@nec.com.au) wrote:
>
>>Obviously, if there is no better solution, the TCP round trip penalty will
>>stop us doing so as we do have performance requirement.
>
> Actually, can't you stick multiple inserts into a given 'statement'?
> ie: insert into abc (123); insert into abc (234);
>
> I'm not 100% sure if that solves the round-trip issue, but it might..
> Also, it looks like we might have multi-value insert support in 8.2 (I
> truely hope so anyway), so you could do something like this:
> insert into abc (123),(234);

Yeah, see my post from last night on PATCHES. Something like "insert
into abc (123); insert into abc (234); ..." actually seems to work
pretty well as long as you don't drive the machine into swapping. If
you're doing a very large number of INSERTs, break it up into bite-sized
chunks and you should be fine.

Joe