Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql (8.1.3)? any experiance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql (8.1.3)? any experiance?
Date
Re: Performance penalty for remote access of postgresql  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-performance
* Guoping Zhang (guoping.zhang@nec.com.au) wrote:
> Obviously, if there is no better solution, the TCP round trip penalty will
> stop us doing so as we do have performance requirement.

Actually, can't you stick multiple inserts into a given 'statement'?
ie: insert into abc (123); insert into abc (234);

I'm not 100% sure if that solves the round-trip issue, but it might..
Also, it looks like we might have multi-value insert support in 8.2 (I
truely hope so anyway), so you could do something like this:
insert into abc (123),(234);

> I guess there shall be quite number of people out there facing the similar
> problem, right? No alternative solution?

Havn't run into it myself...  Quite often you either have large inserts
being done using COPY commands (data warehousing and analysis work) or you
have a relatively small number of one-off inserts (OLTP) per transaction.

    Enjoy,

        Stephen

Attachment