Re: [HACKERS] 8.2 features? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 8.2 features?
Date
List pgsql-patches
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> The major downside is that somewhere between 9000 and 10000
>> VALUES-targetlists produces "ERROR:  stack depth limit exceeded".
>> Perhaps for the typical use-case this is sufficient though.
>>
>> I'm open to better ideas, comments, objections...
>

> If the use case is people running MySQL dumps, then there will be
> millions of values-targetlists in MySQL dumps.

Yeah.  The fabricated select hack does feel wrong to me. Taking a quick
2 minute look at the grammar it looks like a better bet would be to make
InsertStmt.targetList a list of lists of values rather than just a list
of values. Of course, that would make the changes more invasive. Even
with that we'd still be reading the whole thing into memory ... is there
a sane way to cache the inline data before statement execution?

I guess we can just say that for true bulk load our supported mechanism
is still just COPY, but it would be a pity to restrict a feature that is
in the standard that way.

cheers

andrew