Re: [HACKERS] 8.2 features? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] 8.2 features?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] 8.2 features?  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chris.kings-lynne@calorieking.com>)
List pgsql-patches
>> If the use case is people running MySQL dumps, then there will be
>> millions of values-targetlists in MySQL dumps.

I did some experimentation just now, and could not get mysql to accept a
command longer than about 1 million bytes.  It complains about
    Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes
which seems a bit odd because max_allowed_packet is allegedly set to
16 million, but anyway I don't think people are going to be loading any
million-row tables using single INSERT commands in mysql either.

            regards, tom lane