Re: 8.2 features? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: 8.2 features?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Bernd Helmle wrote:
>>
>> --On Freitag, Juli 14, 2006 01:23:11 +0200 Peter Eisentraut

>>> Susanne Ebrecht <susanne.ebrecht@credativ.de> was last heard to work on
>>> it.  Updates, Susanne?
>>
>> I've talked to Susanne today and she's just back from hospital and not
>> available online until next week.
>> She was working on the SET (col1, col2) = (val1, val2) syntax for
>> UPDATE commands.
>> Don't know what the status is on this, though.
>
> Not the same thing, surely. So maybe we should gratefully accept Joe
> Conway's offer to work on it.

I've played with this a bit now, and the grammar changes seem pretty
straightforward, but the other half is kind of ugly. I can't see a good
way to propagate multiple targetlists that isn't a big hack.

The best way might be to fabricate a selectStmt equiv to
"SELECT <targetlist> UNION ALL SELECT <targetlist>...",
but that still feels like a hack.

Have there been any past discussions on how this might be implemented
(FWIW I couldn't find any in the archives)? Any better ideas for an
approach?

Thanks,

Joe