Re: patch postgresql for AMD64 (Opteron) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sven Geisler
Subject Re: patch postgresql for AMD64 (Opteron)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Tom,

I remember that you provide a small SQL script to force the context
switch storm. Can you provide a similar script for Pg 8.1.4?

It looks to me that you get context switch storm if you access with
SELECT one table from multiple clients.

I have a customer which has an current XEON MP DualCore and we get
150000+ context switches/sec. We have around 30 clients. We use RHEL 4
in 32-bit (i368) mode. I didn't use the patch for the Opteron-specific
behavior.

Cheers
Sven.

--
/This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not

Sven Geisler <sgeisler@aeccom.com> Tel +49.30.5362.1627 Fax .1638
Senior Developer,    AEC/communications GmbH    Berlin,   Germany