Re: patch postgresql for AMD64 (Opteron) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: patch postgresql for AMD64 (Opteron)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Sven Geisler <sgeisler@aeccom.com> writes:
> I created a patch for PostgreSQL and x86 architecture.
> This patch address a Opteron-specific
> behavior regarding some assembler statements.

AFAICT this patch essentially proposes that we should allow the single
case of an Opteron running in 32-bit mode to determine our optimization
strategy for all 32-bit Intel.  Tail wagging dog, no?

As the comment notes, it's not real clear that the separate cmpb is a
win on average, but this case is not the average case I'm interested in.
If you want to make an argument for removing the cmpb you need to
provide numbers on mainstream 32-bit platforms.