Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think at some point we have to admit that _polling_ the tables, which
>> is what autovacuum does, just isn't going to work well, no matter how
>> much it is tweeked, and another approach should be considered for
>> certain workload cases.
>
> Autovacuum polls in its current, first-generation implementation;
> what I said upthread was it needs to be smarter than that.  I am not
> sure how you get from that to the conclusion that the very next step
> is to abandon the vacuuming approach altogether.

yeah autovacuum still can be improved quite a lot, but as always this
can be done on a step by step base.

> What I see in this discussion is a huge amount of "the grass must be
> greener on the other side" syndrome, and hardly any recognition that
> every technique has its downsides and complications.  Furthermore,
> I do not believe that this project has the ability to support multiple
> fundamental storage models, as a number of people seem to be blithely
> suggesting.  We're having a hard enough time debugging and optimizing
> *one* storage model.  I think the correct path forward is to stick with
> the same basic storage model and vacuuming concept, and address the
> known performance issues with better-optimized vacuuming.  No, it will
> never be perfect for every scenario, but we can certainly make it much
> better than it is now, without risking killing the project by
> introducing undebuggable, unmaintainable complexity.

While I'm not an expert on MVCC - it certainly seems that sticking to
the current storage model and continuing to improve on it (especially
wrt vacuum performance) gradually over time (as it has happened for the
last years) is a much better and safer approach than trying to do
something revolutionary which in theory might (or might not) be better
than the current approach for this or that workload.

PostgreSQL got a _LOT_ faster for each of the last releases and by my
testing -HEAD is already significantly(20-30%) faster for some of our
apps than 8.1 and all that was achieved without radically redesigning a
proven (reliability wise) storage engine.
Maybe and only maybe one day(or when somebody comes up with a usable
patch - as always) we will at the point where we really need to think
about doing that but for now there seems to be still a lot of low
hanging fruit left to improve for month and years to come.

Stefan