Return the primary key of a newly inserted row? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John Tregea
Subject Return the primary key of a newly inserted row?
Date
Re: Return the primary key of a newly inserted row?
Re: Return the primary key of a newly inserted row?
List pgsql-general
Greeting again,

I am writing records to postgreSQL from an IDE called revolution. At the
time I perform the INSERT command I need to retrieve the value of the
serial_id column from the newly created row.

Is it possible to have a specified column value returned after the
INSERT (rather than the number of rows affected) ?

That would save me doing a SELECT select statement after every INSERT.

Please excuse the terminology if it is not SQL'esque, but I hope you
know what I am getting at.

Thanks in advance

John Tregea