Re: scaling up postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: scaling up postgres
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi, Zydoon,

Zydoon wrote:

> Now I'm trying to make my tests, and I'm not that sure I will make the
> switch to the PSeries, since my dual xeon with 4 G RAM can handle 3500
> concurrent postmasters consuming 3.7 G of the RAM. I cannot reach this
> number on the PSeries with 2 G.

This sounds like you want to have one postgresql backend per apache
frontend.

Did you try running pgpool on the Apache machine, and have only a few
(hundred) connections to the backend?

Maybe http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memcached could be helpful, too.

Markus