Re: scaling up postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Zydoon
Subject Re: scaling up postgres
Date
Re: scaling up postgres  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Re: scaling up postgres  (Markus Schaber <schabi@logix-tt.com>)
List pgsql-performance

Sven Geisler wrote:
> Hi Mario,
>
> I did run pgbench on several production servers:
> HP DL585 - 4-way AMD Opteron 875
> HP DL585 - 4-way AMD Opteron 880
> HP DL580 G3 - 4-way Intel XEON MP 3.0 GHz
> FSC RX600 S2 - 4-way Intel XEON MP DC 2.66 GHz
> FSC RX600 - 4-way Intel XEON MP 2.5 GHz
>
> This test has been done with 8.1.4. I increased the number of clients.
> I attached the result as diagram. I included not all test system but the
> gap between XEON and Opteron is always the same.
>
> The experiences with production systems were the same. We replaced the
> XEON box with Opteron box with a dramatic change of performance.
>
> Best regards
> Sven.
>

> Mario Splivalo schrieb:
>>> What version of PostgreSQL? (8.1 is better than 8.0 is much better
>>> than 7.4.)
>>> Have you remembered to turn HT off? Have you considered Opterons
>>> instead of
>>> Xeons? (The Xeons generally scale bad with PostgreSQL.) What kind of
>>> queries
>>
>> Could you point out to some more detailed reading on why Xeons are
>> poorer choice than Opterons when used with PostgreSQL?
>>
>>     Mario

>> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Thank you for sharing this.
Coming back to my problem :) A very faithful partner accepted to
gracefully borrow us 3 Pseries (bi-ppc + 2G RAM not more). with linux on
them.
Now I'm trying to make my tests, and I'm not that sure I will make the
switch to the PSeries, since my dual xeon with 4 G RAM can handle 3500
concurrent postmasters consuming 3.7 G of the RAM. I cannot reach this
number on the PSeries with 2 G.

can someone give me advice ?
BTW, I promise, at the end of my tests, I'll publish my report.

- --
Zied Fakhfakh
GPG Key : gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net  --recv-keys F06B55B5