Re: Test request for Stats collector performance improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: Test request for Stats collector performance improvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> OK, based on reports I have seen, generally stats_query_string adds 50%
>>> to the total runtime of a "SELECT 1" query, and the patch reduces the
>>> overhead to 25%.
>> that is actually not true for both of the platforms(a slow OpenBSD
>> 3.9/x86 and a very fast Linux/x86_64) I tested on. Both of them show
>> virtually no improvement with the patch and even worst it causes
>> considerable (negative) variance on at least the Linux box.
>
> I see the results I suggested on OpenBSD that you reported.
>
>> OpenBSD 3.9-current/x86:
>>
>> without stats:
>>     0m6.79s real     0m1.56s user     0m1.12s system
>>
>> -HEAD + stats:
>>     0m10.44s real     0m2.26s user     0m1.22s system
>>
>> -HEAD + stats + patch:
>>     0m10.68s real     0m2.16s user     0m1.36s system

yep those are very stable even over a large number of runs

> and I got similar results reported from a Debian:
>
>     Linux 2.6.16 on a single processor HT 2.8Ghz Pentium compiled
>     with gcc 4.0.4.
>
>     > > real        0m3.306s
>     > > real        0m4.905s
>     > > real        0m4.448s
>
> I am unclear on the cuase for the widely varying results you saw in
> Debian.

I can reproduce the widely varying results on a number of x86 and x86_64
based Linux boxes here (Debian,Fedora and CentOS) though I cannot
reproduce it on a Fedora core 5/ppc box.
All the x86 boxes are SMP - while the ppc one is not - that might have
some influence on the results.

Stefan