Re: plpgsql keywords are hidden reserved words - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John DeSoi
Subject Re: plpgsql keywords are hidden reserved words
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Nov 5, 2007, at 10:20 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> I don't see any fix for this that's reasonable to try to shoehorn
> into 8.3, but I think we really need to revisit the whole area of
> plpgsql variable substitution during 8.4.  We could make this problem
> go away if variable substitution happened through a parser callback
> instead of before parsing.

Is there any feasibility to the idea of allowing pl/pgsql variables
and parameters to be prefixed with a special character like '$'? I'm
constantly adding prefixes like 'v_' because of conflicts with table
or column names. It would be nice to have something like "declare
$myvar integer;" so it would be very easy to distinguish variable and
parameter names from structure names or reserved words.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.