Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(),
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> The only reason I've been able to think of for why pg_dump wouldn't use
> a *back end* function for this is because it would then be limited to
> dumping in the format provided by that backend, which could become an
> issue when upgrading. If that is in fact a problem, it might be useful
> to break the code that pg_dump uses for generating DDL into it's own
> library that others could include. But even if that is done, I still
> feel that these functions should be added to the backend.

Jim, you referred to previous debate in one of your postings. There has
been previous debate on this issue too.

Before we pull pg_dump to bits let's identify some actual benefit from
doing so. If you look at the code you will see that it is more than
somewhat complex. A large scale move like you are proposing would be
very high risk, IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew