Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(),
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
>>> Trying to get back on point. What is the scope of work for the TODO
>>> item? Forget everything else I brought up. What is the goal of the
>>> existing TODO?
>>
>> I'm not sure that the TODO item has a reason to live at all, but surely
>> the first item of work for it should be to figure out what its use-case
>> is.  If pg_dump isn't going to use these functions, what will?
>
> Well I can't think of a reason to use the functions as a way to deliver
> CREATE statements.
>
> Anyone else have thoughts?

Keeping 'em separate makes sense to me:

1/ API (or info schema views) provides the required data (e.g column
details for a table).
2/ client (e.g. pg_dump) decides what to do with it (e.g. construct a
CREATE statement from the column details).

Cheers

Mark