Re: [BUGS] BUG #14662: 'has_table_privilege()' function fails with error, "invalid name syntax" when using Japanese symbols - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Justin Muise
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #14662: 'has_table_privilege()' function fails with error, "invalid name syntax" when using Japanese symbols
Date
In response to Re: [BUGS] BUG #14662: 'has_table_privilege()' function fails with error, "invalid name syntax" when using Japanese symbols  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Responses Re: [BUGS] BUG #14662: 'has_table_privilege()' function fails with error, "invalid name syntax" when using Japanese symbols  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your quick response! Please see the attached image.

Regards,

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 10:03 AM
To: Justin Muise <JMuise@esri.com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14662: 'has_table_privilege()' function fails with error, "invalid name syntax" when using
Japanesesymbols

jmuise@esri.com writes:
> The 'has_table_privilege()' function will return the error, "invalid
> name syntax", when the table used in the function contains certain
> Japanese characters.

What character encoding are you using?  I'm suspicious that the underlying problem is use of a non-ASCII-safe encoding
(egSJIS) on the client side, combined with improper encoding conversion due to inaccurate client_encoding and/or
server_encodingsettings.

FWIW, I can't reproduce any problem with your script here; but the script arrived in what looks to be UTF8 encoding,
andI suspect that must not be what you were using when you hit the problem.