Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Alan Stange
Subject Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date
Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
List pgsql-ports
Hello,

I removed the whole tas_dummy() block for sparc from s_lock.c.  I
recompiled and installed with and without --enable-debug.   I then ran
pgbench on the box.  This is using the Sun 11 compilers on Solaris 10.

I tested using pgbench

$ pgbench -i -s 32 pgbench
$ pgbench -s 32 -c 1 -t 10000 -v

for up to 8 clients on an 8 core UltraSparc IV+ system.

Everything compiled and ran fine.

I took a look at backend/port/tas/solaris_sparc.s file.  Isn't that code
a bit longer than needed?

Aren't the callers of this doing
while (tas(lock)) {
   // wait a bit without smashing the kernel/memory bus
}

in which case the code should just be

    ldstub [%o0],%o0
    retl
    nop

without the extra comparisons and branching.  Unless I'm missing something.

-- Alan