Re: Compiling on 8.1.3 on Openserver 5.05 - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Mark Campbell
Subject Re: Compiling on 8.1.3 on Openserver 5.05
Date
List pgsql-ports
Thanks very much with your patience and help.

I cannot reinstall this machine as it belongs to my client, but I was going to try and make our lives easier (the developers) who have to maintain the whole system

Regards
Mark Campbell
mark.campbell@ucs-software.co.za
(011) 712 1521

Confidentiality Notice: http://ucs.co.za/conf.html

Tom Lane wrote:
Mark Campbell <mark.campbell@ucs-software.co.za> writes:
gcc -b elf -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline
-fno-strict-aliasing -I../../../../src/include   -c -o xlog.o xlog.c
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:651:syntax error at name: f
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:654:syntax error at integer constant: 1
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:1092:syntax error at name: f
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:1095:syntax error at integer constant: 1
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:1541:syntax error at name: f
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:1544:syntax error at integer constant: 1
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:2218:syntax error at name: f
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:2221:syntax error at integer constant: 1
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:2327:syntax error at name: f
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:2330:syntax error at integer constant: 1
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:10457:syntax error at name: f
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:10460:syntax error at integer constant: 1
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:10732:syntax error at name: f
/usr/tmp/cczOwssE.s:10735:syntax error at integer constant: 1
gmake[4]: *** [xlog.o] Error 1
I'm coming to the conclusion that there's something seriously broken
about your system.  You were having trouble with gcc back at the
beginning, IIRC, and seeing it emit malformed assembly code (which
seems to be what's happening above) is certainly something that should
never happen.  So you've got a borked compiler and/or assembler,
no ar, headers that don't even come close to following the Single
Unix Spec ... if I were you I'd get something more standard, or
at least more up-to-date.  You're going to have trouble building
*any* nontrivial software on that thing.

Reading between the lines, I surmise that you initially had an
installation without development tools (ar is certainly on the
short list of things that MUST be there to do any development).
It could be that some of the breakage is due to piecemeal addition
of devel tools.  If so, it might help to reinstall the system from
the ground up, being sure to select all the devel tools this time.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend