Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jignesh K. Shah
Subject Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
For a DSS type workload with PostgreSQL where you end up with single
long running queries on postgresql with about 100GB, you better use
something like Sun Fire V40z with those fast Ultra320 internal drives.
This might be perfect low cost complete database in a box.

Sun Fire T2000 is great for OLTP where you can end up with hundreds of
users doing quick and small lookups and T2000 can crank simple thread
executions far better than others. However when it comes to long running
queries you end up using 1/32 of the power and may not live up to your
expectations.  For example consider your PostgreSQL talking to Apache
WebServer all on T2000... You can put them in separate zones if you have
different administrators for them. :-)

As for PostgreSQL on Solaris, I already have the best parameters to use
on Solaris based on my tests, the default odatasync hurts performance on
Solaris, so does checkpoint segments, others are tweaked so that they
are set for bigger databases and hence may not show much difference on
performances...

That said I will still be interested to see your app performance with
postgreSQL on Sun Fire T2000 as there are always ways of perseverence to
improve performance :-)

Regards,
Jignesh