Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jignesh K. Shah
Subject Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi Leigh

inline comments

Leigh Dyer wrote:

> Luke Lonergan wrote:
>
>> Juan,
>
> We've got a Sun Fire V40z and it's quite a nice machine -- 6x 15krpm
> drives, 4GB RAM, and a pair of Opteron 850s. This gives us more than
> enough power now for what we need, but it's nice to know that we can
> shoehorn a lot more RAM, and up it to eight CPU cores if needed.
>
> The newer Sun Opteron systems look nice too, but unless you're using
> external storage, their little 2.5" hard drives may not be ideal.

Thats because Sun Fire V40z had write cache turned on while the
4200/4100 has the write cache turned off. There is a religious belief
around the "write cache" on the disk in Sun :-)  To really compare the
performance, you have to turn on the write cache (I believe it was
format -e and the cache option.. but that could have changed.. need to
verify that again.. Same goes for T2000 SAS disks too.. Write cache is
turned off on it so be careful before you compare benchmarks on internal
drives :-)

-Jignesh