Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Leigh Dyer
Subject Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
Date
Re: Sun Fire T2000 and PostgreSQL 8.1.3
List pgsql-performance
Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Juan,
>
> On 4/5/06 5:33 PM, "Juan Casero (FL FLC)" <Juan.Casero@wholefoods.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ... but I am looking to see if the performance
>> benefit we can get from this server is worth the price tag right now.
>
> While many people here will look forward to performance results on the
> T2000, I can guarantee that your server money will go much further for a
> reporting application with an Opteron based system.  Buy a Sun Galaxy with a
> pair of Opteron 275s, run Linux on it, and I predict you will see
> performance 4-5 times faster than the T2000 running Solaris for handling
> single queries, and 2-3 times faster when handling multiple queries.

We've got a Sun Fire V40z and it's quite a nice machine -- 6x 15krpm
drives, 4GB RAM, and a pair of Opteron 850s. This gives us more than
enough power now for what we need, but it's nice to know that we can
shoehorn a lot more RAM, and up it to eight CPU cores if needed.

The newer Sun Opteron systems look nice too, but unless you're using
external storage, their little 2.5" hard drives may not be ideal.

Thanks
Leigh