Re: Management of Concurrent Clients - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: Management of Concurrent Clients
Date
List pgsql-general
Hanan Bentaleb schrieb:
> Hi all,
>

> I am working on an application that involves multiple processes
> accessing and updating different databases: tables are split into 3
> different databases that are accessed by 3 different processes. This
> architectural decision was made in the past because it has been noticed
> that former revisions of postgres used to lock the whole database when a
> process performs an update (on a record) which prevents the other
> processes from accessing the database.

Which former revision should that have been? Was it postgres95
or was it postgresql yet?

> After some readings on postgres concurrent client management, I am
> planning on changing the database structure to make all application
> processes access a shared database (i.e. put all application tables in a
> single database that would be shared among the 3 processes).  I did not
> find in the documentation (at least in the current versions of postgres
> starting from revision 7) any specific problem related to doing this,
> comments on this problem will be appreciated.

Its very unclear what kind of problems you expect. Accessing postgresql
with lots of clients is a common practice. You can also use schemas
to isolate your applications in the same database if you need that.

If you want better advice, give more details on what your application
does and what exact problems you expect.

Regards
Tino