Re: From ASCII to UTF-8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From gabor
Subject Re: From ASCII to UTF-8
Date
List pgsql-general
Clodoaldo Pinto wrote:
> As part of a migration from 8.0 to 8.1 i want to convert the data from
> ASCII to UTF-8.
>
> I dumped the database with pg_dump (8.0) and tried to convert it with
> iconv, but it shows an error:
>
> $ iconv -t ASCII -t UTF-8 fahstats_data.dump -o fahstats_data_utf-8.dump
> iconv: illegal input sequence at position 71407864
>
> That position contains the decimal value 233:
>
> $ od -A d -j 71407864 -N 1 -t u1 fahstats_data.dump
> 71407864 233
> 71407865
>
> I could use pg_dump -E in 8.1 but it is in another machine with ADSL
> connection and the dump size is 1.8GB. It would take more than 12
> hours.
>
> How to install pg_dump 8.1 only? I tried to copy the executable and
> the libs but it did not work.

from what you wrote it seems that your dump contains non-ascii characters...

probably somehow non-ascii data got into your database. like iso-8859-1
or iso-8859-15 or cp-1252 (if you are using western-european stuff).
in those encodings, 255 = é.

maybe you could try something like:
iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 ....

please note that a conversion FROM these encodings always succeeds. so a
success does not mean that you guessed the charset correctly. you still
will havet to check manually if the resulting document contains the
correct data.

gabor