Re: Bug with sequences and WAL ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philippe Ferreira
Subject Re: Bug with sequences and WAL ?
Date
List pgsql-general
>I don't think this is very important, because the normal behavior of
>sequences is that after a crash the sequence can be up to 32 (IIRC)
>counts beyond the last value actually delivered before the crash.
>To get "exact" restart behavior we'd need to emit a separate xlog
>record for each nextval() command, which seems like a pretty high
>price considering that you cannot assume no holes in the sequence
>values anyway.

Hi,

You are right. I've already seen sequences increase up to 24 or 32 after
a failover with PITR.
However, I'm also using PITR in order to do switchover. In this case, I
think that nothing
should change...
But, I recognize that using PITR for switchover is rather an
"unsupported" functionnality...

Thank you,
Philippe Ferreira.