Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Should I use PL/PGSQL or Perl/PGSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:32:25PM -0800, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
>     I've been wondering, does anybody know which is more likely to be
> installed on a postgresql server? Which is faster? I'm writting an
> application in perl that is going to need to get broad information about
> heiarchial data (how many parents, settings common on parents, etc), and I'd
> like to put that data presentation logic into the database.

Well, plpgsql has been around for a long time whereas plperl is new so
at a guess the former will be much more common. Also, plpgsql is
installed by default on many systems whereas plperl is usually an
addon.

As for speed, no comment. Developer time is generally more important
anyway.

Have a nice day,

Attachment