Re: Does PostgreSQL support job? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Markus Schaber
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL support job?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi, Daniel,

Daniel Caune wrote:
>>> I'm not sure to understand.  Why calling a function from a script is
>>> different from executing a series of SQL commands?

[snip]
>>>Does that make sense?
>>It does make sense if myjob() does more than just execute a bunch of
>>statements, e. G. it contains if(), loops or something else.
>>PLPGSQL is turing complete, plain SQL is not.
> Yes, indeed, that was the idea!

There's another reason: For updating the cron job SQL commands, you need
root access (or at least shell access) to the database machine. For
updating a stored procedure, you need just the appropriate rights in the
database.

On larger deployments, this can be an important difference.

Markus