Re: Does PostgreSQL support job? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Daniel Caune
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL support job?
Date
List pgsql-sql

> [snip]
> >>It does make sense if myjob() does more than just execute a bunch of
> >>statements, e. G. it contains if(), loops or something else.
> >>PLPGSQL is turing complete, plain SQL is not.
> > Yes, indeed, that was the idea!
>
> There's another reason: For updating the cron job SQL commands, you
need
> root access (or at least shell access) to the database machine. For
> updating a stored procedure, you need just the appropriate rights in
the
> database.
>
> On larger deployments, this can be an important difference.

You are absolutely right.  That is such detail I was thinking over.
Managing stored procedures into a RDBMS seems less laborious than
modifying some SQL scripts on the file system.  I mean there is always a
need to define initially a script, run by the cron/psql couple, which
calls a stored procedure responsible for doing the job ("SELECT
myjob();").  Therefore it is easier to modify implementation details of
the job without having to modify the script run by the cron/psql.  On
another hand, it seems easier to test modification by patching a stored
procedure directly in the RDBMS and making some tests on-the-fly.

--
Daniel CAUNE