Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested
Date
Re: Domain conference.postgresql.org requested  (Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>)
List pgsql-www
Dave,

> Registration would take a little effort from one of us, but surely
> everyone involved is capable of wrapping paragraphs/headers in <p> </p>
> or <hX> </hX> tags? It's not like you need to handle any of the styling
> or layout code as you know from when you did the first few PWNs.

Yes, but there's forms as well ... registration forms, submission of
papers, etc.  I'm also not clear that, for marketing reasons, we want
conference registration to be buried in the www.postgresql.org
navigation.   Speaking of which, how many levels of navigation does
postgresql.org support?

Is there someone on this list who's willing to be at our beck and call
to make changes that go beyond static HTML (like an announcements
ticker)?   And can turn these things around quickly?

Each of the 4 of us leading the conference effort expect to put in over
100 hours organizing it this spring.  We don't have extra time to spend
on a web site beyond the development of content, so we need a solution
that doesn't require us to do more than that.  If that solution is the
main postgresql.org infrastructure, we're going to need someone on this
list to lean on, and lean hard.

Aside from that, there's some question about whether or not having its
own root site might be better for the conference anyway.  If you look at
O'Reilly or MySQL, neither subsumes the conference navigation into the
main website navigation.   I'm concerned that doing so will make it
difficult for attendees to find the information they want.

On the other hand, it would make it indisputable a "community" event.

--Josh