Re: duplicate postings in planetpostgresql - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: duplicate postings in planetpostgresql
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 11:13, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:57 -0500, Robert Treat wrote:
> > I think we have another case like David Wheelers where old blog posts
> > are picking up in the feed as new entrys for the current date. This one
> > is on Frank Wiles blog. I think last time it was an issue with the feed,
> > not sure if thats the case here, can you look into it?  If you need help
> > ping me on irc :-)
>
> Actually there is no problem with that. I'm not a Python guy (yet) but I
> think it is a "feature" of Planet code + the RSS feed itselt.I've posted
> a test entry (will delete it now) and it appeared at the top. As we add
> new people, they will appear at the top.

What I was more wondering about was that his initial post on
planetplanet is actually three posts from his actual weblog, and none of
them from today. When I looked at the planetplanet code I didn't see
where it contained the knowledge to deduce that entries were showing up
in planetplanet for the first time vs. subsequent articles, which makes
me suspect that this is a bug of sorts. Well, this coupled with knowing
that other feeds (mine-s9y, niel-advogato) do seem to have publishing
dates in them. Course I am not a python guy (yet) either so I could be
reading the code wrong.

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 11:12, Frank Wiles wrote:
>   I noticed this too and E-mailed Devrim about it just a few minutes
>   ago.  As far as I know my feed is ok and has the proper dates in it,
>   as things show up just fine in RSS readers.   The URL to the feed
>   is:
>
>   http://www.revsys.com/rss/blog/postgresql/index.xml
>
>   This static file is generated hourly which I believe is the
date/time
>   planetpostgresql.org has listed as the date/time for all of my
posts.

>   I'm using Perl's XML::RSS module to generate the RSS and it doesn't
>   appear to have a method of inserting a pub date/time per post.  Not
>   being an RSS expert I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
>
>   If someone can point out what is wrong with my feed, if my feed is
at
>   fault, I'll get it corrected right away.

I don't know that your feed is busted (fwiw it does validate on its own
merits), but when you generate your rss feed, are you specifying a date
for the article?  Have a look at
http://search.cpan.org/~kellan/XML-RSS-1.05/lib/RSS.pm and the RSS 2.0
example, which contains both a pubDate and a lastBuildDate in it.

Robert Treat