Re: Driver compatibility with 7.3 server - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: Driver compatibility with 7.3 server
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Mike Charnoky wrote:
> Hi everyone, happy holidays!  We are are currently using Postgresql 7.3
> and would like to be able to use cursors for large selects (ie: using
> Statement.setFetchSize()).  Unfortunately, this is not implemented in
> the 7.3 JDBC driver.  Is it possible to use a newer version of the JDBC
> driver, say 7.4, with the 7.3 version of the db server?  Thanks.

Later driver versions should work fine with a 7.3 server .. but ..

The setFetchSize() / cursor support in recent drivers (8.0 or later)
only turns on if the v3 wire protocol is being used. 7.3 servers don't
support v3, so it's not going to help your particular case.

For a while, the driver would rewrite queries to use DECLARE rather than
using the v3 protocol facilities, which also works under v2 (but is
somewhat more fragile). IIRC, this was done in the 7.4 series. So you
could try an older, 7.4-era, driver and it might do the trick.

-O