Re: copying a database without dumping it - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tino Wildenhain
Subject Re: copying a database without dumping it
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc Brünink schrieb:
> Hi list,

> Now I'l try a custom dump. Perhaps this will suffice. But I guess it's
> impossible for a dump to be as fast as a cp.  So if a cp would be
> possible I would favour it. Oh, and did I tell: Everything have to be
> done tommorow..... *sigh*

Actually its faster. Custom dump is the way to go
because its much more flexible then dumping plaintext.

I'd not use pg_dumpall but pg_dump for each DB in turn.
See also the various compression options or if short
on free space try uncompressed custom dump and
rar.

Since the dump only dumps DDL and Data, its much less
data then your pg_data directory currently has.

HTH
Tino Wildenhain