Re: copying a database without dumping it - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Marc Brünink
Subject Re: copying a database without dumping it
Date
List pgsql-general
On Donnerstag, Dez 15, 2005, at 12:11 Europe/Berlin, Tino Wildenhain
wrote:

> Marc Brünink schrieb:
>> Hi list,
>> Now I'l try a custom dump. Perhaps this will suffice. But I guess
>> it's impossible for a dump to be as fast as a cp.  So if a cp would
>> be possible I would favour it. Oh, and did I tell: Everything have to
>> be done tommorow..... *sigh*
> Actually its faster. Custom dump is the way to go
> because its much more flexible then dumping plaintext.
[..]
> Since the dump only dumps DDL and Data, its much less
> data then your pg_data directory currently has.

Oh yes! It's damn fast! All hail to the postgres crew! Gosh. My dump
file is just 1.3 GB big. Impressive.
I'm looking forward for the import. Guess I'll get another surprise...

I used:
pg_dump -f shape.postgresql -F c -o -U postgres -Z 9 -v shape

One last thing:
Will I have to re-cluster my tables?

Thanks
Marc