Re: dow question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Keith Worthington
Subject Re: dow question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2005, at 11:03 , Keith Worthington wrote:
>
>> Is there a better way to do this?  The CASE seems inefficient and
>> wordy but perhaps not.
>>
>> I was hoping for
>>
>> day_name(tbl_detail.ship_by_date) || tbl_detail.ship_by_date::text  AS
>> sort_by_string
>>
>> but AFAIK day_name(date) or something like it is merely my  fantasy. ;-)
>

> Will to_char() do what you want? Something like
>
> test=# select to_char(current_date, 'Day YYYY-MM-DD');
>        to_char
> ----------------------
> Thursday  2005-12-08
> (1 row)
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/functions-
> formatting.html
>
> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm myrealbox com

Michael,

That will do nicely.  I didn't realize until now after your tip and
reading the to_char documentation how much I could do with to_char.

to_char(tbl_detail.ship_by_date, 'FMDay, YYYY/MM/DD') AS ship_by_string,

is exactly what the doctor ordered.  Thanks for the tip.

--
Kind Regards,
Keith