Re: Delete statement does not work with PostgreSQL 8.0.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Delete statement does not work with PostgreSQL 8.0.1
Date
List pgsql-general
Ledina Hido wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just today installed the new version of PostgreSQL (8.1.0), and
> my old code seems to have stopped working.
>
> I am basically trying to delete a row from a table:
>
> DELETE FROM "CON" WHERE "ref"='CON5';
>
> I have checked and CON5 is definitively in the CON table. I tried using
> JDBC, pgAdminIII and command line but it doesn't seem to work. I get a
> message saying 0 rows have been affected, as if the item was not in the
> table. Am I doing something wrong? Has the syntax changed or is this
> just a bug?

Well, if DELETE had stopped working then 8.1 would never have been
released, so there's something more subtle going on.

1. What happens if you run SELECT * FROM "CON" WHERE "ref"='CON5';
2. What does an "explain analyse" show for that?
3. If it's using an index try: SET enable_indexscan=false; then run
query 1 again.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd